First thoughts TGTG

I thought it would be daunting to reproduce a text exactly, but actually it is quite a confidence booster to get things right.

What I would love is a hint button that would give you the next letter, so that you don’t have to reread the whole text if you get stuck.

2 Likes

Hi, a newbie here.

Have just tried my first session with Spanish and am experimenting with a couple of source documents just to see how it all works.

The first (a travel blog) may be a bit of a challenge for my basic level European Spanish but I’ll persevere and see how it goes.

I then tried something simpler - a children’s story “The Bird and the Whale” but soon ran into a translation problem. The phrase " *Le encantaba cómo nadaba elegantemente por el agua. was translated by the sofware as “He loved how he slept elegantly by the water.” It should have translated as “He loved the way she swam gracefully through the water.” Even with the help of the audio, I found the difference between ‘slept’ and ‘swam’ more than a bit confusing.

I’ll keep at it.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely interested to hear what other source documents you think might be useful. I’m wondering if we shouldn’t have some kind of library available.

Google Translate! Would have expected that’d be a relatively basic sentence to translate - I haven’t found anything so far indicating that nadar could mean sleep. Would love to use DeepL which seems to offer better quality translations, but we’re based in the US and they’re only working with businesses in the EU at the moment. We’ll definitely give them a shot as soon as it’s possible.

Anything you think might make TG2 more useful or more fun (aside from better translations)? Any interest in being able to favorite sentences and practice them later somehow? Could potentially add a way to edit translations as well (for example if you wanted to practice the sentence you mentioned more, you could correct the translation for the next time you see it).

Thanks again!

Hi Mike,

Yes, I was expecting to encounter a few differences between European and American Spanish (as I do when using Clozemaster) but that nadar/dormir example I mentioned brought me to a grinding halt and I couldn’t get past the dreaded red type at that point. A hint button giving the next letter (as suggested above by sbteb) would be a big help on these occasions. It would let you work through the ‘blocker word’ without resorting to the “Pause” button, which gives away the complete phrase.

Regarding other translators (I have never been a fan of Google Translate) I find that the Microsoft one usually offers a better result. My ‘go to’ translator tool is http://imtranslator.net/translation/spanish/to-english/translation/ which gives me three options to compare. I am UK-based but didn’t know about DeepL, so have no views on how accurate it is.

An ability to edit translations sounds like it could be a good addition. You have something similar on Clozemaster, don’t you?

As mentioned, I’ll carry on trying various things here and will report back further.

All the best!

I like the idea of a library.
The great thing about TGTG is that you know what kind of Spanish you are learning (with Clozemaster I’m never entirely sure if a word is entirely appropriate for a lady of advanced years such as myself).
Also, selecting texts written by women allows me to practice inflecting for gender.

1 Like

Good points! I’m definitely liking working more with native level content as well and having that confidence like you mentioned. And good point about the inflection practice, I hadn’t considered that.

Any ideas for what you’d like to see in a library? I’m thinking possibly something like a collection of curated Wikinews articles, Wikipedia articles, and chapters from books on Project Gutenberg. It might also be interesting to create a tree or some kind of set of groupings of selected texts to provide a sense of progress.

1 Like