First draft library added for Spanish

The library currently only has 6 or so texts to choose from, mostly excerpts from Wikipedia articles.

• Would more of the same be useful?
  • Would something else be useful?
  • How would you like to see them organized? Grouped by smaller topics (for example a number of articles on World War II, a number on Computers, etc.), broader topics (for example a list of articles under History, another under Technology, etc.), or something else or some combo?

We could also try incorporating other types of writings - example essays, example cover letters, etc.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Perhaps it might be more useful to group texts by a)level - with simple texts, e.g. children’s stories, for beginners and more difficult texts for advanced learners;
or b) learning goals. Some people will be preparing for exams, others may be learning because of business or research needs, and yet others may want to be able to communicate informally with Spanish speakers. All these people will need quite different texts.

Having said that, I think that maintaining a library might prove to be quite time-consuming. Maybe you could have different topics in the forum, where people could recommend websites and texts that fulfil a specific need?

1 Like

Good points! Thanks for the input. Agreed a library would be time-consuming, though perhaps it’s something we can continue to grow over time and/or get user submitted recommended additions. In the meantime a section for recommendations in the forum is definitely a good idea - I’ll get something added.

I like this idea and agree that you won’t have the time to administer a single, ever-growing library. As an alternative, as sbteb suggests, maybe you could add language-specific sections in this forum (you are probably familiar with the Memrise forum layout) where we can recommend texts, provide links, etc.

1 Like

I like this idea and agree that you won’t have the time to administer a single, ever-growing library.

What do you think if you could contribute to the library? For example you play through a text, spruce up the translations, and then share/contribute it to the library. Perhaps other users could even up/down vote texts in the library.

In the meantime language-specific sections in this forum should be doable :+1:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Mike.

Yes. That sounds good, so long as any copyright issues are avoided. Could there be some simple way of ‘grading’ the level of the contributions (eg beginner, moderate, expert, or something)?

Yes, or would it be easier to show a counter to indicate how many people have used the text?

1 Like

@ALANH no worries - thanks for the feedback!

so long as any copyright issues are avoided

Yep that’s the tricky part, not sure how best to handle that just yet.

Could there be some simple way of ‘grading’ the level of the contributions (eg beginner, moderate, expert, or something)

Yep, I’m thinking of adding a way to tag texts with something like the levels you mentioned.

easier to show a counter to indicate how many people have used the text

Yep will likely just do that to start.

Will post any updates to the forum, and any other thoughts please be sure to let me know. Thanks again!